internet week new york spotlights seven new tech ventures at start-up city exhibition
UK Trade & Investment Sponsors the Showcase
New York, NY (May 17, 2013) -
New York, NY (May 17, 2013) – Seven new tech ventures will exhibit their products and present a Demo Day at Internet Week New York’s (IWNY’s) Start-Up City, a special display area and lounge that showcases up-and-coming startups with unique technological innovations.
Start-Up City will be open at Internet Week New York headquarters (Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 West 18th Street) from May 20th through May 23rd. UK Trade & Investment (UKTI), the British government department that helps U.S. companies bring their high-quality investment to the UK's dynamic economy to launch their global business adventure, is its presenting sponsor.
The companies exhibiting at Start-Up City will also present at Demo Day, a public event during which each will deliver a five minute pitch about their business on stage before an audience. Pitches will be moderated by industry experts and live streamed for extended reach and impact. Demo Day takes place May 23rd from 2 to 3:50 pm at Internet Week New York headquarters.
Now in its sixth year, Internet Week New York is expected to draw more than 45,000 people to over 400 panels, Meetups, exhibits, screenings, parties, and more taking place at IWNY Headquarters and at venues across the city from May 20th to 27th.
The companies participating in Internet Week New York’s Start-Up City are:
• Distant Job, a remote placement agency that provides companies with highly qualified full-time personnel available anytime. Distant Job’s recruiters all have extensive technology backgrounds, and interview and hand-pick the perfect workers to meet a company’s requirements.
• Genesis Media, a new payment model for premium content and services. Its proprietary platform enables consumers to pay for content with their engagement and viewership with branded advertising, rather than paying with a credit card. For publishers, the company generates significant amounts of new incremental revenue. For brands, it delivers completely new, targeted, high quality video impressions in the most premium online environments.
• Ghostery, a free browser plug-in that gives Internet users a roll-call of the ad networks, behavioral data providers, web publishers, and other companies interested in their online activity. After revealing who's tracking them, Ghostery also provides users a chance to learn more about each company and the ability to block them.
• MallWeGo, a rewards-based social gaming and shopping platform that uses analytics to best connect users, vendors and advertisers in a fun and social environment.
• MiMedia, a cloud-based platform that keeps personal content like music, photos, videos and documents safe, while providing access to all anywhere, anytime and on all devices.
• Pave, a community where people create teams that unlock the potential of young careers through a social-financial agreement. Prospects (people starting their careers) accept one-time payments from backers, (accomplished individuals looking to put their experience to use) in exchange for sharing a small percentage of income over 10 years.
“We are thrilled to join with UKTI in putting a spotlight on this exciting group of companies participating in Start-Up City,” said Caroline Waxler, Festival Director, Internet Week New York. “This exhibition underscores how tech creativity is fueling a new generation of business opportunity in New York City and around the globe.”
“Supporting tomorrow’s tech leaders is a vital part of UKTI’s mission to cultivate a future economy built on cutting-edge innovation,” said Patricia Young, is Vice Consul - Information Communication Technology & Tech City at UKTI. “We are pleased to partner with Internet Week New York in introducing these start-ups to a wider global audience.”
Anyone with an IWNY pass can attend Start-Up City and watch the Demo Day presentations live. Passes can be purchased at: https://internetweekny.com/orders.
About Internet Week New York Launched in 2008 in cooperation with the New York Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment, Internet Week NY is a week-long festival celebrating Internet business and culture. In 2012, over 250 events took place throughout the city, drawing nearly 40,000 attendees.
Sponsors of Internet Week New York 2013 include Premier Sponsors Google, Meredith Digital, Yext, and AT&T Adworks, and Official Sponsors Vitamin T, Aereo, Sailthru, Buzzfeed (Premier Media Partner), MediaCom (Official Livestream Sponsor), Battelle Media, Criteo, Modern Healthcare, Meredith, Tekserve (Official Technology Sponsor), EisnerAmper LLP (Content Sponsor) and UK Trade and Investment (Start-Up City Presenting Sponsor).
Partners include: The New York City Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, The Webby Awards, VICE, Advertising Age, BtoB, Creativity, Crain’s Detroit Business, Crain’s New York Business, Modern Healthcare, Nielsen (Official Research Partner), Eyebeam Art and Technology Center (Official Arts Partner), Design Within Reach (Official Design Partner) , Mother , PKPR (Official PR Partner), Sound Ctrl (Music Tech Day Content Partner) , Vault49 (Official Creative Partner), GrandLife’s Soho & Tribeca Grand Hotels (Official Hotel Partners), General Assembly (Official Education Partner), Motherboard (Classroom Partner), Slalom Consulting. Media Partners include: The New York Times (Official News Partner), CBS Interactive, Advertising Age, Flavorpill, Financial Times, and Refinery29.
About UKTI UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) is the international business development agency of the UK Government. We provide confidential and complimentary services for US companies looking to grow their global business.
As an innovative and entrepreneurial US business considering international expansion (or expanding your global footprint), the UK provides an ideal base of operation for international growth. With London’s place as the world’s premier business center, the UK remains a GREAT gateway to Europe, and a perfect global springboard.
To find out more about how to launch your global business adventure, please contact Patricia Young (212-745-0451, email@example.com).