internet week new york 2014 takes over big apple with parties, panels, exhibits, meetups and more taking place across new york city
The Webby Awards, The Webutante Ball and Vice Kills Internet Week among highlights of citywide festival from May 19th – 25th
Jenny Chang, firstname.lastname@example.org
Marc Shatzman, email@example.com
New York, NY (May 05, 2014) -
Dozens of parties, panels, exhibits, meetups and more, including The Webby Awards, The Webutante Ball and Vice Kills Internet Week, will bring the Internet to life across New York City during Internet Week New York 2014 from May 19- 25th.
The weeklong festival is expected to draw more than 45,000 people to over 250 events taking place both citywide and at the Internet Week New York HQ, the nerve center of the festival at Chelsea’s Metropolitan Pavilion, where speakers like New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, Spike Lee, Zipcar’s Robin Chase, BuzzFeed’s Jonah Peretti, Upworthy’s Peter Koechley, Foursquare’s Dennis Crowley and Orange is the New Black’s Piper Kerman will take to the stage. Passes to the Internet Week New York HQ can be purchased at http://www.internetweekny.com/orders.
“Technology is changing the way we live, work, and play and nowhere is that more evident than in the diverse lineup of events happening across New York City during Internet Week,” said Allison Arden, the Managing Director for the festival. “From the now legendary 5-word speeches at the Webby Awards to 60-second pitches on elevator rides at One World Trade Center to an exhibit of over 2,500 smartphone photos, this always-on city becomes even more alive during the festival.”
Highlights of the Internet Week New York’s Citywide Events include:
- The 18th Annual Webby Awards: Kicking off this year’s festival, the star-studded gala hosted by Patton Oswalt will feature winners delivering the Webbys’ famous 5-word speeches in the tradition of past victors like Al Gore: ("Please don’t recount this vote."). (May 19, Cipriani Wall Street)
- The Webutante Ball: A “prom” for New York’s tech scene, complete with King and Queen, returns to Internet Week New York for its sixth year. (May 20, Marquee)
- Ad Age Marketing & Technology Summit: Executives from Gilt, Dell, Yahoo and more discuss how technology is reshaping the roles of CMOs and CIOS and changing the relationship between marketing and IT. (May 21, IWNY HQ - The Altman Building)
- Elevator pitches… in the elevator of One World Trade Center: New York City startups pitch their companies to investors in the actual elevator of One World Trade Center, the tallest building in the western hemisphere. As the elevator blasts to the 100th floor in just under a minute to a towering 1,776 feet, New Yorker entrepreneurs will deliver the pitch of their lives. (May 22-23, One World Trade Center)
- Official Internet Week HQ Closing Party: IWNY, Mixcloud, Eyebeam and Astrsk PR host a rooftop soiree at the DL. Music by Justin Strauss and Nico Perez (Founder Mixcloud), Steve Marchese (Executive Producer Webby Media Group), Steven Rojas (GrandLife) and Elliot Tomaeno (Founder Astrsk PR) . (May 22, Rooftop at the DL)
- Vice Kills Internet Week: Vice and Nightswim NYC host the official Internet Week New York Closing Party After Party with DJ sets from Young Guru and Questlove. (May 22, Gansevoort Avenue Rooftop Pool Bar)
- Internet Week NY Run: Discover the ultimate social running experience on a morning run with SPEERIT, a Made in NY startup that matches runners with others nearby that share the same schedule and pace. (May 24, Central Park)
- EngageNYC: Social media managers from across New York City government gather to discuss best practices for engaging New Yorkers (May 21, Made in NY Center)
- Legendary filmmaker Albert Maysles discusses documentary filmmaking and photography in the digital age. (May 22, New York Public Library)
- Devoted to images captured with phones, 1197, named after the date the first mobile photo was taken (June 11, 1997), is an exhibit featuring mobile photos from over 2500 participants. (May 19-21, Soho Arthouse
- Appy Awards Cocktail Party: The Appys honor extraordinary applications on all platforms: mobile, social and web-based. (May 21, Crowne Plaza Times Square
- The TechMUNCH NYC food blogger conference will feature sessions including an Inside the Food Network fireside chat with Allen Salkin and a lesson on tips and tricks in food photography from Evi Abeler. (May 20, Home Studios Inc.)
About Internet Week Launched in 2008 in cooperation with the New York Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment, Internet Week New York is a week-long festival celebrating Internet business and culture. In 2013, more than 45,000 people attended nearly 400 events throughout the city. Sponsors of Internet Week New York 2014 include CBRE (Real Estate Sponsor), Vitamin T, The Trade Desk (Classroom Sponsor), Telescope (Social Engagement Sponsor), Neustar (Co-Presenting Data Sponsor), SheKnows, MediaCom (Live Feed Sponsor), Quantcast, MediaPost’s OMMA (Theater Sponsor), Yahoo, Oracle Social Cloud (Retail and Commerce Sponsor), Evolve Media (Stage Sponsor), 24Seven Inc. (Co-presenting Style and Design Sponsor), USA TODAY | GANNETT (Stage Sponsor), Sailthru, Outbrain, TakePart, Elio Motors, Brabble (Startup City Sponsor), CementBloc (Citywide Event Sponsor), Criteo (Future of Marketing and Advertising Sponsor), Celtra (Co-Presenting Future of Marketing and Adverstising Sponsor), Blinkx, Ntent/Vertical Search Works and Rubicon. Partners include VICE (Content Partner), The Webby Awards (Content Partner), Mixcloud (Music Partner), GrandLife Hotels (Hotel Partner), Design Within Reach (Design Partner), Food to Eat (Cafe Partner), Uber (Transportation Partner), Mother New York (Content Partner), General Assembly (Education Partner), CourseHorse (Education Partner), FastPXL (Mobile App Partner), CBS Interactive (Media Partner), The New York Times (Media Partner), Flavorpill (Media Partner), Northside (Media Partner), Mashable (Media Partner), Refinery29 (Media Partner), Automotive News (Media Partner), CNYB (Media Partner), Tekserve (Technology Partner), AlleyWire (Media and Content Partner), QuizUp (Content Partner), Dealmarket (Startup City Partner), Delivery.com (Startup City Partner), Gbanga (Startup City Partner), Headstore (Startup City Partner), Instahive (Startup City Partner), Honey (Startup City Partner), and Brabble (Startup City Partner). Internet Week New York is presented by Made in New York, the Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment (Presenting Partner) and Crain Communications. The official site for Internet Week New York is www.InternetWeekNY.com.